boxes this week contain: 1 long island cheese pumpkin, 1 lb. german butterball potatoes, 1 lb. eggplant, 1 head romaine lettuce, 1 lb. summer squash. We didn't have enough of either okra or braising greens to put them in every box so your box will either have 1 bag of braising greens (young and tender kale and collards) or 1 lb.of okra. We will do the same next week so if you tell Ally which you want, you'll get the other next week.
regular shares also have: 1 bunch beets, 1 red bell pepper, 2 lbs. potatoes.
*remember to get your onions and garlic from the stand at market*
we've been noticing some bad spots in 1 layer within the red onions. as your picking your onions out, gently press on the stem end and make sure its firm and no juice is coming out of the stem
|Cyril and Addiebelle|
|Long Island Cheese Pumpkins curing in barn loft|
cut the pumpkin in half or quarters and roast in 400degree oven til soft; scoop out the seeds
2 onions or 4 shallots
2T sherry or dry vermouth
1 roasted pumpkin
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 tsp ground ginger
3/4 to 1 c milk; maybe more
1. saute onion in butter until soft
2. remove seeds from squash; for a thicker soup, use skins. for a thinner, more delicate flavored soup, remove skins
3. combine onion, squash, vermouth, broth, salt, pepper, ginger
4. puree in food processor. add milk as needed to get desired consistency. ( you can use water instead)
5. return to pot and heat thouroughly.
Hope you have a great week!