|Romaine lettuce just before harvest|
Regular Boxes: 1 delicata squash, 5 pounds Red Maria Potatoes, 1/2 pound red onions, 1 head of romaine and 1 head of bibb lettuce, 1 bunch of cilantro, 1 bunch of dill, 1 bunch of hakurei turnips, 1 red tomato.
Saturday boxes will get German Butterball potatoes instead of Red Marias.
Storage: Tomatoes can be kept on counter and could use a day or 2 to fully ripen. Everything else should be kept in your refrigerator.
I thought you might enjoy making (and eating) Pico de Gallo one last time before the tomatoes are done.
PICO de GALLO
2 to 3 red onions
1/2 bunch cilantro
juice of 1 lime
1. Wash and cut away the stem end of 1 ripe red tomato. Cut into 1/4 inch cubes.
2. Peel and dice the onions into similar size pieces as the tomato.
3. Place in a bowl together. Chop or tear the cilantro into small pieces. (you don't want to cut it tiny because the flavor will disappear)
4. Squeeze the lime juice over the vegetables and sprinkle with salt. Gently mix together with your hands or a spoon and taste. Add more salt if you need to.
Eat with tortilla chips, on eggs, on tacos.
Here is a recipe for a soup my Mom likes well and shared with me:
3 T butter
1 large or 3 to 4 small onions, coarsely chopped
2 heads of garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
3 large or 6 small potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
6 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper (or cayenne if you like spicy)
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
1. melt 3 T butter in large, deep pan. Add onion and garlic and sautee until onion is translucent.
2. Add potatoes, stock, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
3. Process the soup in batches in a blender or food processor until desired consistency. Return to pan and heat thru, adding cream and parsley.
|Sweet potatoes in foreground, cover crop of buckwheat in middle and backdrop of sunflowers in the fog.|
|Harvesting winter squash, Anne and Catherine|
|Harvesting winter squash, Paul and Hayley|